|BeadLinks.com Home | Directory of Craft & Hobby Articles | Browse Craft & Hobby Articles from the Top | The Down The Street Bead Show
Articles on Artistic Creativity
17 Tips For Getting Balloons to Last Longer in Hot Weather
In warm weather, latex balloons will typically only last outside for a day. As you know, sun, wind and heat will biodegrade the latex. With that said, however, there are tricks you can do to raise your odds of getting them to last more than a day outside.
1) Use only high quality balloons like Qualatex. I've also heard that some people have used Bellatex and Tilly balloons with some success. Quality makes a huge difference.
2) Avoid using latex balloons whenever possible. After a few days outside, we have seen them completely disintegrate when touched.
3) Qualatex' Polyurethane Duo balloons are designed for outdoor use. They will last longer and look better for extended outdoor use than any latex or foil balloon. They are a bit more pricey but can really take away the headache of shrinking and disintegrating balloons. For larger Duo balloons like 18", it may be cost effective to rent them. The Duo balloons can also be used to leverage small latex balloons. Underinflate your smaller latex balloons and use the lift power of the big balloon to raise them.
4) Always underinflate to allow balloons to expand when absorbing heat. We've found the method that works best is to over-inflate the balloon and then release air until the balloon is slightly underinflated. This helps the balloon to breathe and expand more easily, and it is not as brittle. Underinflating does little good unless you overinflate first.
5) Use balloons two sizes larger than you would normally use.
6) Inflating balloons with the same temperature air as they will encounter outdoors can actually help to retain their shape better.
7) Helium does not work well outdoors in the heat. If you need to use helium-filled latex, try to use large balloons like 24" and inflate to only around 16". Over- inflate with air first, release the air and then re-inflate with helium. You don't want to waste your helium when you pre-inflate.
8) After your balloons are inflated, consider applying a product called "Balloon Shine." It can protect your latex balloons from the sun's UV rays. It's best to experiment with this days before to see if it will work.
9) While Hi-Float is used to make balloons float longer, it is not generally meant for outside use. If you want your balloons to float longer outside, you should plan on doing daily touch-up work to your balloon arrangements. Be sure to include this in your budget.
10) Balloons simply will not last outdoors overnight. As the cold air shrinks the balloons and then they expand in the sun the next day, they will pop like crazy. This can be avoided by simply bringing all balloons indoors in the evening.
11) Use white balloons as much as possible. They reflect the sun and fade less.
12) Avoid darker balloons. They will absorb heat and pop faster. If you need darker colors in your balloon decor, use ribbons to accent in a darker color.
13) Keep in mind that extreme heat speeds up the balloon leakage process. So, in temperatures close to 100 degrees, the helium will escape much faster, drastically reducing float time. If you can find a way to shade balloons, it can slow the process, somewhat.
14) Do not use water to cool down balloons. As the water dries on the latex, it becomes slightly sticky. Balloons can stick together causing them to pop as balloons they expand in the heat.
15) Mylar foil balloons last longer outdoors than latex. Just allow for normal expansion and shrinkage. The downside is that in the hot sun the foil will not hold its color or sheen. There will be a noticable difference by the end of the day.
16) Whenever possible, use some kind of framework to give your balloon decor structure that can withstand wind and heat. This can also be helpful for helium-filled balloons that will lose float time in the heat.
17) We've found that if balloons are going to pop in the heat and sun, the will usually do so within the first hour. So, you'll have a pretty good indication of whether it will work if you set up early.
While it can be difficult to do balloon decor outdoors in the heat, it is certainly not impossible. Just use the above tips to greatly improve your odds.
Passionate about advertising balloons, Kathryn Parisse is editor of The Balloon Newsletter. Subscribe and get answers to all your balloon decor, twisting, and advertising questions at aBalloonaDay.com.
Warning: readfile(http://www.rss-info.com/rss2.php?integration=php&windowopen=1&rss=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DGGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-22%2CGGLG%3Aen%26q%3Dhobbies%26output%3Drss&number=10&width=300&ifbgcol=FFFFFF&bordercol=D0D0D0&textbgcol=F0F0F0&rssbgcol=F0F0F0&showrsstitle=1&showtext=1) [function.readfile]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /home/beadl/public_html/inc/rss.inc on line 5
Starting A Coin Collection
The best place to start collecting would be with pennies, we will focus on the Lincoln Cent for the years 1909 through 1958, which are the Wheat Cents. There are still a number of "wheat cents" showing up in circulation, so it is possible to start a coin collection without spending a great deal of money.
Gold Jewelry Hallmarking Secrets Revealed
We should be familiar with the BASIC hallmarks mentioned on the website. It might pay you to read them again, just to bring you up to speed and ensure you have grasped the principles.
Scrapbooking Those Memories!
You will find scrapbook supplies for photos and pictures in a craft store or online. Scrapbooks are used to combine photos and pictures to make a picture story album.
Basic foldsMost of the designs that you will learn will use a square piece of paper - and most will be done with origami paper, so the directions will show a colored (or gray side to indicate color) and a white side.Also, most patterns will have an arrow that points you in the direction of where the fold should go.
Are You Making Money At Craft Shows?
If you are involved in the crafts business, and are profitable, you are among the rare breed who have successfully combined art with business. If, however, you still have yet to show a profit (or enough profit) after a show, this article may get you going in the right direction.
Amish Furniture for Kids Summer Projects
Summer is coming, and the kids will soon be out of school. Mom's and dad's everywhere will soon here "I am board; I don't have anything to do.
How to Make Quilted Silver Beads
After making the leaf bead, I was impressed with the detail made possible by the metal clay. Therefore, I decided to use the same technique but create a different look.
Beautify Your Stamped Cards with Creative Coloring
Stamping is one of the most versatile crafts around because there are so many different options that you can use to enhance even the most basic stamp. When you look at some colored stamped images, you may be overwhelmed by how beautiful they are.
Use Newspaper Clippings, Graphics, Kids Art, and Clipart to Enhance Your Scrapbook
A popular addition to scrapbook pages is newspaper clippings. Newspaper clippings of birth announcements, team photographs, or favorite celebrities add a personal touch to scrapbook pages.
Sewing - A Wonderful Pastime
To think that in the beginning the only sewing patterns used were to measure from ankle to dirt and chop off the animal skin so that it would not drag on the ground. Now you can get sewing patterns for everything from a simple square sewn together to create a throw pillow to an elaborate wedding dress.
Woodworking Beginners: Introduction To First Time Crafts
Woodworking: The Process Of Making Something Using WoodThe art of woodworking is one of the most ancient and widespread. From the earliest days when humans first experimented with the many uses for wood, our civilization has had a connection with this material, in all its varieties and forms.
Patterning and Spacing in Your Scrapbooks
How can you arrange your scrapbook page to best show off your mementos and embellishments? You can place everything in the center of your page, place a single focus item in the center, or divide the page into sections adding items to each section. You may also choose to lay the items out in a standard recipe or calendar layout.
Using Your Dogs Hair
Dog hair (called chiengora)can be spun into yarn, much like sheeps's wool, alpaca, or any other animal fiber. The process is the same.
Money Making Hobby - Do You Have One?
Everyone has a hobby. We love all kinds of music, sports, movies, books.
What Is An Un-circulated Coin?
You may have heard the terms proof coin and un-circulated coin, but what's the difference between these two? To understand the difference between a proof and un-circulated coin, let's first answer the question, "What is an un-circulated coin?"Un-circulated means a coin has not had any wear, such as the wear a coin might experience when it is used in commerce. Handling a coin, as well as improperly storing a coin, can result in wear on the surface of the coin.
Diet and Fitness - Help from Your Hobbies
Everybody battles with their weight from time to time. It's either too much junk food or not enough exercise.
The Most Powerful Attribute in Antiques and Collectibles
What can increase your sales volume and make you more productive day in and day out? You've probably heard this three word statement that seperates those who wish they could do better,from those who really do.Knowledge is power!This three word statement is more than just a great philosophy.
Origami Secrets Revealed
Origami, or the art of paper folding, has been around for centuries. It is one of the most intricate, but at the same time simple expressions of art in the world.
Working With Leather
This can be as simple & basic Or advanced & professional.There are many books, booklets, pamphlets, reprints, even articles describing how to assemble a simple article cut from a basic design which is purchased as a kit from a supplier.
Woodworking Tools: Right Selection And Care Will Save You Money, Part 2
Woodworking: Tools Of The Trade, Part 2 - Tools For CuttingA civilization's maturity and intelligence is judged, in part, by the diversity and sophistication of its tools. When it comes to woodworking, the human race is quite advanced.
Sell Your Beads & Crafts Online.
We are part of a 28,000+ high traffic classified website network.
Post Your Free Picture Classified Ads Today
|BeadLinks.com Home | Directory of Crafts & Hobbies Listings | Browse Crafts & Hobbies From Top | The Down The Street Bead Show|